Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#283622 - 30/06/2006 14:55 Re: Gearing up for "Superman Returns" [Re: hybrid8]
Cybjorg
addict

Loc: Winston Salem, NC
I guess the rub for me is that the effects should be so seamless that rather than being noticable, they simply suck me further into the movie. The LoTR trilogy pulled this of amazingly well, I think.

#283623 - 30/06/2006 15:38 Re: Gearing up for "Superman Returns" [Re: Cybjorg]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
That's exactly how things should be. Effects are there to complement the story and enhance a scene. If it's a fireworks show someone wants then they're better off watching a demo reel.

I have high hopes for Superman in this regard. Like I said, the effects I've seen so far have all been done in a way that makes them look natural (so you never have to think about them at all). LoTR was just about the best example ever.

Bruno

#283624 - 30/06/2006 17:14 Re: Gearing up for "Superman Returns" [Re: FireFox31]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Quote:
I guess that's it then. Effects have reached their peak. Anyone who tries to push effects even further will look too "Starwars Prequel".

It's true that visual effects aren't growing with the same leaps and bounds (sorry, but it *is* a Superman thread) as in the past -- take a look at the diversity of visual effects related SIGGRAPH talks and papers of recent years, compared to, say, a decade ago -- but they are far, far, far from reaching a peak. What's happening now is that much of the research is going into refining techniques, such as introduction of more scientifically accurate models that were, previously, too prohibitively computationally expensive for use in visual effects. For example, some of the scenes in Superman required more than one PhD-holder writing and supporting fluid and gas simulation software, using fluid dynamics simulation algorithms that were just "discovered" a few years ago in conjunction with mathematical models of ocean behaviour from a professor of oceanography.

From a film-goer's perspective, you may "see" a plateau, but in reality, you're just not "seeing" all the effects, which really is the point (unless the story calls for something special).

The "Starwars Prequel" look is the result of having no artistic vision, and confusing FX with story. It's the same problem you get anywhere else -- just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Sometimes less is more.

Quote:
I guess it is a good point that effects should blend into the movie. I thought many of those LotR "Massive" orcs were somehow acted at first glance.

Technically, they were. Massive forms coherent movement of an agent by blending between different "movement phenomes", if you will. Typically, in the case of humanoid creatures, those phenomes have been recorded by motion capture of human actors.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2